Submissions & Contests
THE ON-LINE JOURNAL
Gertrude accepts manuscripts from new and established writers and artists year round. Subject matter need not be LGBTQA-specific; we welcome writers and artists from all backgrounds. We accept simultaneous submissions because life is too short. We do not accept previously published work.
Rather than printing traditional journals as we did for 19 years, our selections are now featured in our on-line journal. We hope to reach even more people this way! For more info on what we are looking for, please read our DUOTROPE interview here or click the submissions button below. For book reviews, art submissions, and interview ideas, please email Tammy directly.
The 2017 Fiction Chapbook Contest is open from June 15-September 15. The winner will receive $200 and 25 copies of their chapbook. This year's judge is Robert Hill, the author of the novels WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE (Greywolf Press 2007), which was a finalist for the Oregon Book Award’s Ken Kesey Award for Fiction, and THE REMNANTS (Forest Avenue Press 2016), which was named one of Powell’s Books’ “Top 5 Novels of 2016.” Robert has received a Walt Morey Fellowship from Oregon Literary Arts, and has been a Teaching Fellow at the Breadloaf Writer’s Conference, as well as a Judge for the Breadloaf Fiction Prize. Visit Robert here.
The 2017 Creative Non-Fiction Chapbook Contest is open from June 15-September 15. The winner will receive $200 and 25 copies of their chapbook. This year's judge is Kate Carroll de Gutes, whose book OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR won the 2016 Oregon Book Award for Creative Nonfiction and a 2016 Lambda Literary Award in Memoir.
Kate is a wry observer and writer who started her career as a journalist and then got excited by new journalism, which became creative nonfiction and is now called essay (personal, lyric, and otherwise). Her second book, THE AUTHENTICITY EXPERIMENT: LESSONS FROM THE BEST & WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE, will be released from Two Sylvias Press in September 2017. You can learn more about Kate at www.katecarrolldegutes.com.
FICTION & CREATIVE NON-FICTION CHAPBOOK CONTEST GUIDELINES
- Submit 8500-10000 words of short fiction OR creative non-fiction (multiple stories/essays or a self-contained manuscript excerpt), on-line only.
- Submissions should be set in 12pt font and double-spaced.
- Indicate which selections have been previously published and by whom. Unpublished pieces are welcome.
- Work may be of any subject matter and writers from all backgrounds are encouraged to submit.
- Please indicate how you learned of the contest in your cover letter.
- Contest is blind judged. Please DO NOT include any identifying information on your manuscript.
- Include a $17 submission fee via our PayPal (link in Submittable when you follow the button above).
- GOOD LUCK!