Submissions & Contests
THE ON-LINE JOURNAL
Gertrude accepts manuscripts from new and established writers and artists year round. Subject matter need not be LGBTQA-specific; we welcome writers and artists from all backgrounds. We accept simultaneous submissions because life is too short. We do not accept previously published work.
For more detailed info on what we are looking for, please read our DUOTROPE interview and our recent interview with Entropy Magazine.
Please note: FOR POETRY, send all poems in ONE DOC. For book reviews, art submissions, and interview ideas, please email Tammy directly.
We are a 501(c)3 non-profit and we don't charge a reading fee to submit to the journal, so if you have a few bucks to support our work promoting queer art and lit, chip in! And thank you.
FICTION & CREATIVE NON-FICTION CHAPBOOK CONTEST GUIDELINES - THE 2017 CONTEST HAS ENDED.
- Submit 8500-10000 words of short fiction OR creative non-fiction (multiple stories/essays or a self-contained manuscript excerpt), on-line only.
- Submissions should be set in 12pt font and double-spaced.
- Indicate which selections have been previously published and by whom. Unpublished pieces are welcome.
- Work may be of any subject matter and writers from all backgrounds are encouraged to submit.
- Please indicate how you learned of the contest in your cover letter.
- Contest is blind judged. Please DO NOT include any identifying information on your manuscript.
- Include a $17 submission fee via our PayPal (link in Submittable when you follow the button above).
- WINNER RECEIVES $200 AND 25 COPIES OF YOUR GORGEOUS CHAPBOOK. Good Luck!
The Benefits of a Chapbook
We view our chapbooks as a stepping stone for our writers. With this publishing credit, you can started bringing your career to the next level. Should you win the contest (yeah!), here are a few answers to question you might have: